Learn more about the history of Woodburn Elementary School.
The first Woodburn School, a one-room schoolhouse, opened about 1914 on Woodburn Road near Pine Ridge Park. The school educated children in grades one through seven all in the same classroom. Woodburn School closed in February, 1927 due to declining enrollment and the remaining students transferred to the Merrifield School on Route 29. During the "baby boom" following World War II, the influx of residents to our community, many of whom had young school-age children, quickly led to overcrowding at the few schools in our area. Construction began on a new Woodburn Elementary School in the summer of 1952. On March 13, 1953, The Evening Star newspaper reported that parents from Holmes Run Acres built our first playground and that construction of our building was expected to be completed in May. When our school finally opened it had a library, cafeteria, offices, and just six classrooms. Four additions have been constructed since that time.